CYBER CRIMES COMMITTED via. MOBILE PHONES
CYBER CRIMES COMMITTED via. MOBILE PHONES
by- Vidushi Arya
Crimes and the criminal minds have evolved over the years. One of the emerging mediums of crimes is the medium of communication , as it is the most progressive tool of the same. With such advancements in the communication the mobile phone technology has also advanced to a very large extent, be it either in terms of flexibility or portability.
No matter mobile phones have made life easier, convenient and productive for many, are also being adopted very quickly by the criminals in order to aid and assist in their criminal motives. Mobile phones are not only being used for the purposes of aiding and preserving criminal activities but also for the purposes of targeting various mobile networks. Eg.: hackers in the past attempted to breach into Nokia’ Symbian, Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android operating systems.
It is said that Cyber crimes are essentially committed using a computer as a tool, Section 2(1)(i) of the IT Act 2000 defines a computer , it reads as under:
“computer means any electronic, magnetic, optical or other high-speed data processing device or system which performs logical, arithmetic, and memory functions by manipulations of electronic, magnetic or optical impulses, and includes all input, output, processing, storage, computer software or communication facilities which are connected or related to the computer in a computer system or computer network.”
Therefore, smartphones, tablets ,etc. also fall within the scope of the definition of a computer since they are also capable of carrying out logical, arithmetic and memory functions by manipulation of electronic , magnetic or optical impulses and comprise of all inputs, outputs, processing and storage and provide for communication facilities, which is why mobile phones are considered at par with the computers.
- Mobile Hacking: the installation of a spy on an individual’s phone is considered as a type of hacking, it basically means the illegal intrusion into another person’s computer network.
- Mobile Cyber Defamation: it is the sending of humiliating, degrading or obscene text messages an e-mails by means of a cell phone or any other mobile phone device.
- Mobile Pornography: mobile pornography using mobile phones can be specifically recognised under the ambit of of section 67B of the IT Act 2000, which reads as under-
(a) publishes or transmits or causes to be published or transmitted material in any electronic form which depicts children engaged in sexually explicit act or conduct; or
(b) creates text or digital images, collects, seeks, browses, downloads, advertises, promotes, exchanges or distributes material in any electronic form depicting children in obscene or indecent or sexually explicit manner; or
(c) cultivates, entices or induces children to online relationship with one or more children for and on sexually explicit act or in a manner that may offend a reasonable adult on the computer resource; or
(d) facilitates abusing children online, or
(e) records in any electronic form own abuse or that of others pertaining to sexually explicit act with children, shall be punished on first conviction with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to five years and with fine which may extend to ten lakh rupees and in the event of second or subsequent conviction with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years and also with fine which may extend to ten lakh rupees.
Provided that provisions of section 67, section 67A and this section does not extend to any book, pamphlet, paper, writing, drawing, painting representation or figure in electronic form–
(i) the publication of which is proved to be justified as being for the public good on the ground that such book, pamphlet, paper, writing, drawing, painting representation or figure is the interest of science, literature, art or learning or other objects of general concern; or
(ii) which is kept or used for bona fide heritage or religious purposes.
Explanation–For the purposes of this section, ―children means a person who has not completed the age of 18 years.”
- Mobile Cyber Stalking: is the repeated act of harassment or threatening behaviour of the cyber criminals towards the victim by using mobile internet services.
CYBER CRIMES COMMITED VIA MOBILE PHONES
- Bluejacking and Bluesnaufing: It refers to the sending of unsolicited messages from one Bluetooth device to another nearby Bluetooth enabled device by using OBEX Protocol. It begins by creating a new contact in a Bluejacker’s own phonebook , however here the Bluejacker rather than typing the name of the person types a short message. Both Blue Jacking and Blue Snaufing exploit a victim’s phone’s Bluetooth without the knowledge of the victim. The only difference that exists between the two is that Bluesnaufing is the theft of data from the mobile phone of the victim , whereas Blue Jacking on the other hand is harmless.
- Blue Bugging: here the hacker completely takes over the controls of the mobile of another person from the phonebook , and may even listen to the conversations that the victim is having over the phone, i.e. to say that person who successfully blue bugs the phone of another gains complete control over the phone and can do anything and everything with it. Earlier mobiles used to have faulty Bluetooth implementations which were vulnerable to blue bugging but with the improvement in technology they have become safe over the period.
- Vishing: In case of vishing the victim usually receives a call from the hacker who pretends be a person from a trusted source , and persuades the victim in divulging important information from them including personal details. It is a kind of identity theft which takes place very easily and people use it for the purposes of divulging financial information of the others.
- Smishing: it involves the sending of SMS’s to the user of a mobile phone to furnish his confidential information such as credentials of credit cards, e-mail id, passwords, etc. which are often used by the hackers to defraud him. It is also used for introducing malwares in the mobile phone.
- Malware: is a program designed to execute malicious activities in the designated device. This program enters and functions in a mobile phone without the knowledge of the user via SMS, File transfers, while downloading any document, etc.
- Sim Card Swap: SIM CARDS( i.e Subscriber Identification Module Cards ) frauds occur when an individual compromises or steals the SIM Card from a phone. It gives an access to the spectators having malicious intentions to the personal information, identification , cell phone information such as number, provider, etc. and gives him the opportunity to indulge in practices like contacting the carrier and requesting for a new SIM Card, and when he receives the new card the victim’s card gets deactivated , and victim stops receiving any alerts regarding the payment confirmations, etc. which are now transferred to the fraudsters phone.
- SMS Spoofing: it means to change the origin of the text message which is sent to the recipient which maybe both legal and illegal. Legal useage is when the sender transmits a message from an online computer network for a lower price , and spoofs his own number for the purposes of being properly identified. In simple words it would mean that people may spoof their identity in order to send the messages using some other person’s number. Such false attribution of messages maybe exploited for a number of reasons like defamation, etc
Some Preventive Measures which can be taken are :
- while buying a phone, give due consideration to it’s security features.
- configure your devices and web accounts to be more secure.
- avoid following the links sent through suspicious e-mail accounts.
- limit the exposure of your mobile phones.
- be very careful about what information you would want to store into your device, essentially avoid saving card and bank account details.
- be very selective while installing any application to your , always check authentication.
- always disable the interfaces which are not in use, like Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.
Every individual nowadays owns a mobile phone and connects with thousands of people known and unknown using various mobile applications and social media platforms, but many a times are unaware of what is being served in their plate. Therefore, one must always check for authentication and verify information and take the preventive steps to protect their information.
31 thoughts on “CYBER CRIMES COMMITTED via. MOBILE PHONES”
This article is a great initiative in today’s scenario where majority of IT professionals are using their mobiles to access the Cyber world….awareness on crimes in this scenario is a must for all whether novice or expert
With younger lot being aware of the dangers technology brings with it, these articles like yours can help keep criminals at bay! ?
Very known crimes mostly committed by the younger generation and also a dangerous havoc created by this crime in the lives of younger generation. Very informative good one.
Very informative article, it was great to know about the different types of cyber crime in detail. Telling how vulnerable they can be, can be preventious for them.
Very relevant and useful in the prevalent times.
Very insightful and helpful
Very helpful article
A intimation and detailed article on the current scenario. Now a days many youngsters and well educated persons are misusing mobile phone which is non ethical. People need to understand their responsibility towards society and should use mobile phones for the purposes the are actually made.
Awareness related to mobile phones crimes should be increased and some major steps should be taken to minimise these types of crimes. The article here is good enough and could be understood even by a common citizen. Great work.
Informative, Includes all aspects of law. Great article
Mobile phone crimes are increasing day by day and I think we need to stay extremely careful. Every activity is done with the help of phones now a days and I think we need to stay cautious. A very informative article. Nice work
day by day cyber crimes is reaching at apex and major weapon for it is mobile phones which turns the situation unfazed .hence sobering attitude towards it must be shown and by this sort of information kind helpful for all.
day by day cyber crimes is reaching at apex and major weapon for it is mobile phones which turns the situation unfazed .hence sobering attitude towards it must be shown and it impinges on the life on victims .hence this information is helpful for us.
this sort of information will surely bolestring me as law students
Thanks for letting us to know about cyber crime through phones are also tooo dangerous, Helpful
Cyber crimes through mobile phones is a very common yet unknowable among the people. The article was very helpful in elaborating different types of cyber crimes committed through mobile or electronic devices as defined under IT Act.
Like!! I blog frequently and I really thank you for your content. The article has truly peaked my interest.
The most important thing for this generation is the mobile phones and more worrying thing is the data and personal information saved in that little techno box and how to be safe and prevent from the viruses malwares and other threats to protect our data stored in mobile phone is a big issue and which is discussed in this article
Very helpful article for all women’s
In today’s world when everyone has a mobile phone, knowledge about what is waiting for them on the other side is very important. This article provide information about almost all the possible crimes which can be committed through mobile phones. This article is very important for everyone as everyone should have basic knowledge about the threats they might face in future.
The sad reality is that aot of people don’t give due importance to the security of the mobile phone when compared to laptops or PCs.
The easy to use mobiles, smart phones, etc. are equally easy in committing a crime. Use of these phones has become threat to our security. The article tried to cover the major crimes those are committed via phones and gives general information about such crimes.
One should read this Article to know about cyber crime happening in such a device through which we do all our works, store data, photos etc….
Very good article , as it includes law and the attack types…
Well written and informative article.
very informative and explained article which must be shared as it is been because at present scenario everyone owns a smart phone and it is must for each individual who owns a smartphone should be aware of pros and cons of the device they are using and should follow the safety measures so that no person should be trapped in the crimes committed on phone. all the information given in the article are well explained and all around a good work by the writer.
A very nice ,well versed and informative article on the roe of mobile phones in cyber landscape. The author has covered all the points like what is considered crime according to law and how mobile phones are also part of it , what are the offences that are committed using a mobile phone etc. An excellent article.
Now-a-days mobile phones are being used everywhere.This article is very helpful that it explains about the cyber crime committed through mobile phone also the article used to edify the different types of mobile phone crimes and crimes done through mobile phones. The article helps one to be aware of the crime via mobile phone and be cautious to prevent the it
Very helpful and good Article